One stealthy mod is the installation...
One stealthy mod is the installation of a T5 five-speed or automatic overdrive. Modifications like these are easy, and they improve fuel economy. No one knows they're there but you.
Companies like Master Power...
Companies like Master Power Brakes make it easy to tackle an entire system, like the brakes. You can order everything from the power-brake booster, to the front disc brakes and rear drum brakes, which enable you to put a Mustang back on the ground quickly.
If you're restoring a classic...
If you're restoring a classic Mustang to compete for trophies, please understand the grueling nature of concours showing. It's a competitive environment in which only the determined and talented compete successfully. You must be committed to showing and winning-and coming back again and again on your way to the top.
Some of the best people to...
Some of the best people to seek advice from are avid concours restorers, like these Mustang Club of America certified show judges. They know the ropes because they've been there. They're tough competitors who know how to win.
Hitting the Books
When you're shopping for a Mustang, do your homework, arming yourself with every bit of information you can find pertaining to Mustangs. Use Mustang Monthly as a tool, and build yourself a Mustang library using the best reference books. There is a ton of recommended reading out there, including books about specific models. Here are some recommended reads to get your Mustang bookshelf started.
- Mustang Red Book, by Peter Sessler (great quick-reference book).
- Kruse's Collectible Vehicle Collector's Guide (gives pricing).
- Mustang Recognition Guide, by Donald Farr, Larry Dobbs, Jerry Heasley, and Rick Kopec (available from California Mustang).
- Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook, by Al Kirschenbaum (available from Bentley Publishers-a must-read for '79-'93 Mustang buyers and owners).
- Mustang '64-1/2-'70 Restoration Guide, by Tom Corcoran and Earl Davis (available from Motorbooks International).
- Mustang & Ford Small-Block V-8, by Bob Mannel (available from RPM Press).
- Ford Engine Parts Interchange, by George Reid (available from CarTech Books or your favorite book seller).
- Mustang 5.0/4.6-1979-1998, by Matt Stone (available from Motorbooks International).
- How to Restore Your Mustang, from the editors of Mustang Monthly (basic but useful; available from California Mustang).