It's mid-August and you're thinking, Why in the world is this guy rebuilding a heater box? It may be 96 degrees outside right now (actually I wrote this in April, and it was a nice, partly cloudy day and 67 degrees out), but I rebuilt this heater case in the middle of last winter. Let's just call this preventive maintenance for the upcoming winter months for those of you with running driver Mustangs.
For me, though, it's a different story. With Project '66 now painted, suspended, and braked, we can begin work on installing the fresh, black Pony interior (hands down, the favorite part of a restoration). Before we can start laying door-to-door carpet, though, we have to get our firewall in order. This means rebuilding the heater case, new insulation, refurbishing the heater controls, and more. Thus, I froze my butt off (though my fellow staffers claim to not notice the difference) in my garage for three nights, rebuilding the heater case assembly.
For our heater case rebuild, we called on the fine folks at CJ Pony Parts for everything we would need to spiff-up our heater and have it pumping out volumes of 289ci heated air. As you will see, all of our electrical components were in good working condition, but if you need a blower switch or a blower motor, the crew at CJ has 'em on the shelf ready to go. We also enlisted the help of Ssnake-Oyl in insulating our '66 hardtop from road noise and the elements.
While you will see most of Ssnake-Oyl's kit in an upcoming issue, we installed the firewall pad now, since it has to go on before the heater case.